I CAN’T STOP – I AM A SHOPAHOLIC ! Money Doctor column Irish Daily Star 31st August 2023
Q. I think I am addicted to shopping. Not sure where it is coming from but I find I am running out of money half way through the week and I cannot seem to track what I am spending it on. Married with 2 children, I am becoming paranoid with the debts that are now starting to mount. Can you point me in the right direction ? Terry – Artane Dublin 5
A. You are not alone Terry. There is a condition known as compulsive shopping and if you do have it, you can obtain therapy for same. There are even weekly meetings for Debtors Anonymous ( held in the Dublin Central Mission Methodist Church Abbey Street Dublin 1 ) akin to Alcoholics Anonymous, a self-help group. Meanwhile here are a few tips to help :
- Do a quick budget, create goals for the year ( holidays, major purchases, etc ) and maintain them.
- Make a shopping list every time whether food, clothes or whatever and stick to it ( check your pantry and fridge first ! )
- Do not borrow and do not use your credit card – only cash, debit card and cheques.
- “Window shop” only when the stores have closed and don’t watch TV shopping channels.
- Take your mind off shopping by exercising, hobbies, reading, learn to play guitar, going to the cinema – anything to take your mind off it.
You may also need professional help – don’t be afraid to seek it. Best wishes